Updated: Apr 19, 2019
This is the BASIC roasted chickpea recipe, that changed up my snacking game. Chickpeas are great source of protein, iron, and some B-vitamins (B6 in particular). They're affordable, easy to use and ~diverse~! You can use these different chickpeas for a salad topper, a protein source for a pasta, a munchie snack.
The ingredients/spices are modifiable, and you can make them depending on what kind of mood you're in. I'll give a few different spice blends that pair well together but you can make you're own blends too and comment/share if you've tried something better! All you need is a can of chickpeas and a blend of spices (OR just salt and pepper!!)
Indian: Cumin, Turmeric, cayenne, coriander, and salt
Latin: Cumin, Lime, paprika, salt, and (optional) dried cilantro
Italian: Dried oregano, garlic salt, pepper, and lemon
SE Asian: Soysauce, garlic, chilli flakes, and pepper (I like using sesame oil with this recipe)
1 can of chickpeas/garbanzo beans
1 tsp of each spice listed above
2 tbsp of oil of your choice (I prefer olive but any oil works)
1. Preheat the oven at 425F
2. Drain a can of chickpeas, wash them with some warm water. *PROTIP* if you have time, run the warm water over the chickpeas and rub them between your hands to de-shell them. By de-shelling you'll get a crispier chickpea, the shells create a pocket over the chickpea that steams the inside and can make them a bit softer but it still works regardless!
3. On a baking sheet (with parchment or greased), spread the chickpeas over the sheet, and use the oil to cover.
4. Mix your spice blend over the chickpea to incorporate the flavour.
5. Put in the oven for 15 mins, flip and repeat for another 15 mins.
6. EAT and ENJOY however you'd like!!